It’s Dining Room week on the HGP. I made Fiori di Sicilia Spritz Cookies for the freezer. They’re a light, delicate cookie that should freeze well. The flavoring is “Flowers of Sicily.” I also made Cranberry Fudge, which should keep nicely till Thanksgiving.
- ‘Deadline Week: If homemade gifts are not done, put them away. After Thanksgiving weekend and go buy something. This is not a contest, this is life.” The deadline was for years 12/10, and I plan to keep to that. Give up the week of Thanksgiving? I think not.
- “Get everything out for Thanksgiving Dinner and prepare everything that can be done ahead of time. Make sure enough dishes are available.” It is definitely time to cook! #2 son is coming in on Tuesday and the Empress, #1 daughter and Nico are coming in tomorrow.
- “Stock bathrooms and first aid kit.” I don’t know about the first aid kit, but I certainly must get the guest room and the bathroom ready.
- “Wednesday: Use one of the Freezer Meals, buy a salad at the store…” This sounds like excellent advice.
- “Friday or Saturday: Have children make/set up Advent Calendar.” I’ll send one home with #1 son for his children.
- “Set up the Creche area and add figures each day as we read from an Advent book. Continue until Jan. 6 when the wise men come.” I might do that after Turkey Day.
Today I have church and a play with some friends. We’ll be watching Avenue Q.
I also must make the horseradish cranberry relish:
Mama Stamberg’s Cranberry Relish
- 2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed
- 1 small onion
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar
Grind the raw berries and onion together. (“I use an old-fashioned meat grinder,” says Stamberg. “I’m sure there’s a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind — not a puree.”)
Add everything else and mix.
Put in a plastic container and freeze.
Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. (“It should still have some little icy slivers left.”)
I’ll give half to the Empress. I may also make some more cookies, to have some to serve on Monday as well as a couple more kinds for the holidays. But cleaning is probably the highest priority.