We have green beans and peppers from the garden, and lots of fat green tomatoes whose ripening we eagerly await. We are using the final jar of last year’s jam (nectarine). Ah, summer!
The concerts in the park have begun. Tommy came into the store to get “a big paper fish.” I had one for her. She was putting it on a pole so her friends could find her at the concert. Because that can be a difficulty. #1 son went with friends and lawn chairs — luxury indeed — but many people do as #2 daughter did, and wander about among the groups finding friends here and there. And sometimes it is impossible to find any particular person in the crush.
I used to go with my kids all the time (my husband doesn’t care for it), but they reached an age where they were off visiting with people throughout the concert, and I was left alone in the scrum. So I haven’t been in a while.
Last night, #2 son and I stayed home with my husband and watched the History Channel’s explanation of the Da Vinci Code. This is a favorite novel of both #2 son and #1 daughter, which I have not yet read. The program was interesting, though repetitive. Apparently, they only had enough actual footage for half the program, so they kept repeating bits till it was as long as they wanted it to be.
Here is the quilt. I was sewing blocks, putting them together as they were sewn, and then sewing on the completed rows as they were ready. But at some point I lost track and made an A row when I should have had a B row. Or else I mislaid a B row. Either way, I am currently at four and a half rows. It still could end up being a living room throw rather than a bed quilt. #2 daughter points out that, since the colors are perfect for the living room, it could be the designated quilt for the sofa bed, which has no designated quilt of its own, though it gets a lot of use.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This quilt is from a pattern in The Thimbleberries Book of Quilts, but I have the basic traditional square in a couple of other books. When I idly looked it up, I found that the traditional block is done not with myriad identical triangles, but with two sizes of triangles and a large square. Much less seaming. The Thimbleberries version is for quick cutting and piecing. I don’t know whether I would have made it this way had I realized that to begin with.
This method has left me with a lot of extra triangles, though, so I am thinking that I may add a sawtooth border, as well as a couple of plain borders. We’ll see. The whole idea of planning the project before making it continues to elude me.
LATER IN THE DAY… #2 daughter came in, looked at my quilt where I had lain it out on the floor for photographing and contemplation, and immediately noticed that there were four squares sewn together wrong.
Four.
This must be some kind of record.
I will therefore be spending the weekend taking the whole blasted thing apart and putting it back together, rather than finishing it up, as I had imagined. All talk of borders is premature.
I am having trouble believing that I did this. Non-pointy triangles is one thing, but actual replacement of the rhombus with an extra triangle because you have sewn a module on upside down — now would I have done that if I had cut it in the traditonal way instead of the supposedly quick way? Hmmm. Four times?
As #2 daughter points out, it is better to have discovered this now, than while I was actually quilting the thing. This is true. It is a good thing that she looked at it. Since I sewed them, laid them out, photographed them, put them in the photobucket (xanga still hates me), moved them to xanga, and posted them — all without noticing — I suppose I might not have seen it until I went to quilt the lovely circles of diamonds and didn’t have any in four places.
Four! Excuse me while I go apply a cold compress to my brow.
If you like visual puzzles, though, you might look for the four wrong ones. I’ll post the answer tomorrow. Number them from upper left, left to right in rows, one through twenty-two, skipping the blank spots.
And here are a couple of prayer shawls. They are in Homespun on monstrous needles.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com