Back before the holidays, I cut out two flannel nightgowns and sewed one up. Unfortunately, that gown and my store-bought nightgowns (which are admittedly pretty old and shabby by now anyway) are now too big for me.

A voluminous nightgown is okay, actually, and having a nightgown slip off your shoulder while you’re tucked up in bed doesn’t matter much. But sewing a new nightgown and having it be way too big doesn’t make sense.

So I’ve begun sewing the second one by cutting it down (probably not enough) and applying the same trim that I used for the first nightgown — satin ribbon threaded through broderie anglaise edging.

For one thing, I had enough left over. For another, I think it is equally pretty with the white as with the deep blue, but it has a different effect.


I may get to the machine work tonight. My goal is to finish it tomorrow night.