I’ve been sewing Elle pants and Hot Patterns tops so far this summer, but for my pretty embroidered-effect silk, I needed a pattern that took very little fabric and also took advantage of the drape and movement of the cloth. This is the cloth in question. It looks embroidered, but it’s actually a print. A print of what? Insects cavorting among the flowers? Heraldic shields for space aliens? I don’t know. I chose it because I think it will mix very well with the other print from my SWAP collection. It’s 45 inches wide and for some reason I bought just 1.5 yards. This silk georgette is destined to become a two-piece dress, or at least a top and skirt. The triangular print, then, should be something that can be worn with a skirt. The two fabrics are similar in weight and texture, so I think the insect print top and the geometric print skirt will be nice with a solid neutral jacket or cardigan. I chose Simplicity 8131 for the pattern. It’s a lot like a woven version of the Fringe Festival top I’ve been making repeatedly this season, but with a number of sleeve options, including the “cold shoulder” style, plus additional choices for the tie. The front gathers onto the back at the shoulders, providing room for the bust without the need for darts, and there are a couple of options for the shape at the hem. I made version C, and you can see it below, completely unpressed. Oh, and blurry. I think it will be a favorite. I’ll come back with a better picture once it’s actually completed. The pattern has just two main pieces if you make a sleeveless version. I cut the collar/tie on the straight rather than on the bias because of the aforementioned fabric limitations, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem. I guess I’ll know when I press and wear it. The instructions for sewing the collar and tie were very unclear. I like the Fringe Festival method much better, but this one does give more possibilities for tying the tie. For example, you can tie a bow at the neck and have a V neck below it, as shown below. Pressing might help the bow. I might also unpick and resew the collar.In fairness, other bloggers have written about this blouse without complaining about the collar instructions, so it could be user error. I hemmed it by hand. I faced the armscye with lace hem tape and used self bias binding to encase the shoulder seam.