Last time I mentioned the Sewing With a Plan project, I was having trouble finding a print.

(If your reaction to that sentence was either “Ah,yes, what happened with that?” or “So what?”, you can safely skip this paragraph. Sewing With a Plan, or SWAP, is a popular thing with the sewing bloggers, where they plan out a coordinated wardrobe according to rules apparently developed in Australia, and then they sew stuff according to that plan, rather than according to whim. The beginning of the thing is to make a two-piece dress in a print which contains two colors, mystically determined according to another set of rules. Then all you have to do is take a swatch of this print along to the fabric store with you, and all the things you sew will work together and you will be well-dressed in spite of yourself. #2 daughter and I went through the planning process and got a start on our sewing while she was here over Memorial Day weekend, but neither of us had come up with a print, even though we went to all the fabric stores and I tried really hard not to think like a quilter. As it happens, we both found plaids we liked — you can make a plaid jacket as long as it goes with your two-piece print dress.)

I ended up ordering this fabric from Keepsake Quilting. It arrived yesterday. It is Windsor Paisley from Moda fabrics.

My mystically-determined colors are burgundy and gray, with blue as an accent, and this is as close as I could get.

I was pleased, when I laid it out with the solid colors and the plaid (none of which, of course, are supposed to be bought before the print, but there it is), that it went very well with them.

 

 

 

 It goes well with the Silken Damask Jasmine sweater I’m knitting, too, and the yarn for my next planned sweater, and with Erin, which is languishing in my knitting basket waiting for cool weather to return.

It should make an excellent skirt to wear with these sweaters, when and if I ever finish them all.

 

 

 

I have even attempted to take a photograph of the fabrics all together. I try not to apologize for my photos too much, because a) I find it boring when other people do it and b) I don’t know what it looks like on your monitor anyway, but I do wish that I were able to photograph cloth better. Still, in spite of the dreadful picture, the print works well with the completed top here, and with the other fabrics I had gathered up for my SWAP. That is a relief.

The thing is, in spite of my efforts not to shop like a quilter, I did end up buying quilting cotton. I wanted to go with silky microfibers or challis or something, like a dressmaker, but I just didn’t find a print in such a fabric. This is a good quality broadcloth, but it is broadcloth.

The pattern I chose for my two-piece dress is Butterick 4467.

I already made the top in a blue microfiber (haven’t hemmed it yet…) and it turned out well.

I’m not sure that this is going to work as well in broadcloth. I think it might have a homemade rather than a handmade look, if you know what I mean.

So I may need to find another pattern for my two-piece dress. I certainly am not going to start looking at prints again.

Natalie has just popped into my mind, though, so I am thinking that when I wash this fabric, it may feel quite different, or indeed I may feel different about it.

Seamstresses out there, your thoughts on this matter are solicited.