gored skirt While I had a mostly lazy day yesterday, I accomplished a few things.

I sewed up this burgundy gored skirt.

When I got to this point, I decided that the zipper was the wrong color, and that I would have to wait to get a new zipper. So it still needs zipper, waistband, and hem.

This is Italian wool gabardine, a fabric as soft and light and drapey as rayon challis, but with the many advantages of being wool. I love this stuff, and you can get it cheaply online.

felted sweater I also began the process of turning this felted sweater into a bag. The sweater had moth holes, so I felted it severely, as you can see in this picture. I was intending to make it into a bag according to the simple instructions that were in every magazine last fall — sew up the bottom, cut straps over the shoulders, done before dinner.

The recycling aspect of the thing appeals to me, and the felted lambswool feels wonderful.

But I don’t actually like to carry that tote-bag shape, and if I did like it, I have a bunch of them that I could carry. I have been putting the project off ever since the fall, because of this juxtaposition of appealing concept and unappealing likely product.

So I turned to McCall’s 5198, a set of hobo bags.

sweater bag This is the outside layer. Since the pattern was not intended for felted sweaters, I cut and sewed up the basic framework to see how it would work.

It seems enormous.

Still, having ascertained that it could be done, I went ahead and cut the lining and began sewing in  the buckram and stuff.

The wool is too thick for my sewing machine, so I am doing it by hand. It is almost too thick for that, too. I am using a huge needle and having to take one stitch at a time. It may take me quite a while to complete.

I am ignoring the instructions for the bag entirely. I am going to leave it open at the top instead of putting in a zipper, and do a button flap, and rather than interface the whole thing I am putting buckram into the gusset to give sewing in buckramit a bit of a spine. The strap is in one piece with the gusset and will be narrower than the pattern calls for — I haven’t quite decided on the details of that strap’s construction. I am essentially just using the pattern for the shape.

If I like this one, I may make one according to the directions some day.

I also got the body of Pipes completed.

Here you see it liberally frosted with dog hair.

Most things in our house have a little dusting of dog hair, but this yarn — Knitpicks Telemark in Deep Navy — seems pipes ribbingto draw all the dog hair to it.

There is also the fact that the boys have been allowing the animals to sit on the furniture all through the vacation. They will have to be completely retrained. However, the boys will see the error of their ways next week when they get ready for school and find themselves covered with dog hair.

Still, the sweater is coming out nicely. The ribbing will make it shapely without detracting from the traditional look.

Next time I do a sweater like this, I may begin the ribbing earlier in the center, making a triangular panel of ribbing in the front.

My husband went back to work today, and of course I will also do so. The boys have another week to fritter away in playing video games.